2709rsgamboa6219

This is MyWebForum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rsgamboa
Admin

PostSubject: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 am

Is USEP doing enough to protect privacy of faculty, staff and students they reach electronically?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rsg0927.forumsmotion.com
Mark Van M. Buladaco

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm

As for me, there are certain times that there are anomalies for the privacy of USEP's faculty, students and staff.

THE BANNED BROTHERS
A certain group of students from the institute of computing have hacked the logger system of the Nodal Computer laboratory. They have used other students accounts for accessing for the use of computers in the laboratory. As for their punishment. they are banned from entering the computer laboratory 2 for almost one month.

THE PHANTOM HACKER
Last year, there is a phantom hacker that visits the USEP's system. According to Sir Val Quimno, that certain hacker have changed the codes of the USEP's web portal.

As for this factual events, it can be said that our electronic security walls have slightly in need of upgrade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://estudyantenghectic.blogspot.com
Clenemae G. Galgao

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 pm

As what mark stated above situation to our university's electronic capacity to secure the privacy of faculty, staff, and student is really need to upgrade to ensure and to secure the important information of the university..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charmaine Joy Abrenica

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Having a much "secured" security within every system is not an easy job, especially nowadays with all the hackers and the likes on the loose busying themselves to make others have a hard time protecting several systems existing. You really need to set concrete security policies and regular maintenance to avoid things such as making those data stay as confidential as they should be. With the USEP's electronic security, I think that it has still improvements to achieve to be able to a certain level of security wherein we could really say that it is enough or more than enough to protect the privacy of faculty, staffs and as well as the students. I could say such statement due to instances that may or can prove it. A group of students of this university has effortlessly hacked into the system in our computer laboratory and the method they use might even reached many others who are still using the laboratory and have ease on using time in accessing the internet or using the units there if they weren’t caught or noticed and placed a corresponding sanction for their actions. So with that, employment of a more solid data management and security must be a matter that the university should greatly consider now and as soon as possible work on.
bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regina e. abadilla

PostSubject: Is USeP doing enough privacy in electronica matters?   Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Every institution is aware of the possibilities of leakage or hacking of data. With this, they try their very best to render this concern. This discussion reminds me on my past post around the month of August 2008 entitled nodal anomaly. Openly, I don’t want to make it a big deal to protect the name of the ‘ban of brothers’ but then, this is indeed a suitable situation in relate with this discussion. Changing IP configuration and bypassing logger through disabling system file which enables the logger to appear as default. There is a time also that the virtual learning webpage was then cannot be accessed because it was hacked, but then thanks to the wide knowledge of the administrators to handle this concern. Anyway, these situations are few to mention of the flaws in electronic transactions. However, I know for certain that the university is having a good administration in handling these possibilities. It is not easy to deal with this issues, it badly need an experts to protect the necessary privacy. Admin are doing their job well to correct the flaws detected by the users.

I stated in my past article and still want to say it again. ‘“Users are good testers to discover system faults” this is one way for us to be more innovative. In addition, we IT people must adopt the “egoless” attitude. If there are faults and misleading, it was just the part of the system, not on the developers own. Blaming system failure to a certain group is unethical in technical aspects.’
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miah Mae C. Bernaldo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 pm

[i]Is USEP doing enough to protect privacy of faculty, staff and students they reach electronically?[/i]

Maybe the system administrator of usep have already improve the security of data of Usep's systems..
usep's system have already been hacked months ago. as mentioned by the others, the IC logger have been attacked by the famous "ban of brothers". in that case i really can say that the security privacy was not enough. Since members of the so called "ban of brothers' were only the students of IC. well i don't know if they have hard time hacking IC's logger. Maybe they have just became very familiar with the system since they were in the NODAL everyday..for this i dont know if the IC logger have been upgraded to protect from hackers like them.
and about the USeP's VLE... it have also been hacked a few months ago, but i know that the system admin have made some moves to restore USeP VLe..

from these experiences, hope the system admin have learned a lesson from this and make some actions regarding to data security. and now, since there were many internet intergated systems that have been develop for usep. hope this systems also have data protection,.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://spongeemyn.blogspot.com/
Glayra P. Bustamante

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Undeniably, there are some instances that the systems are vulnerable to attacks as mentioned by my classmates above, this is due to lack or improper implementation of security measures... So for me, I guess a stronger policy on data and systems security must be imposed. Not only the network administrators, developers and programmers should be trained and aware of these security measures but also all the users involved. Maybe a data and systems security awareness lecture or discussion will be given to students, employees and other concerned individuals that will use the system. Let them know what are the dos and don’ts to protect the system. I thought of this since I have learned sometime last year that there’s this employee that let his son used the computer of the university to insert his USB. He had no knowledge that his son’s USB was carrying a computer virus that would halt all the processes he has in his computer and so to delay important transactions of the university that time, like the releasing of salaries to the university employees. So from that simple situation, we can say that aside from the said employee forgot to update the database of his antivirus (I am not even sure if the computer was installed by an antivirus software), he was also not mindful on who are the authorized persons to use the computer.

So maybe, everyone in the university should be aware on whatever security measures implemented by the university. Furthermore, in relation to electronic securities, if it still vulnerable to attacks, maybe the university should upgrade or acquire a better one that could ensure more protection and security to the system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agnes Galinato

PostSubject: Is USEP doing enough to protect privacy of faculty, staff and students they reach electronically?   Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 am

When the term “electronically” was being used in the question, I was a bit confused if it directly focuses using the internet. But I was researching for the term and found that it was not limited the utilization of the internet but “of or relating to electronics; concerned with or using devices that operate on principles governing the behavior of electrons” which is definition given in the WordWeb dictionary. So, it basically it includes the use of fax machine as well as telephones.

I asked one of the developers and database manager in the school, Mr. Michael Cagape if some policy is being implemented for the privacy of the staff and students in the university. He answered me directly that it is beyond his tasks, and said that all information of the staffs are gathered and placed in the Human Resource Department of the School.

With these information, I will base my opinion on experiences and observation.
The University’s Website

- as what I know all the necessary information is posted, but the contact number and home address is not included. Thus, privacy is a little bit concealed. Not all the staff are included, just the teaching personnel and the members of the board.

Offices
- contact information of the staffs are not easily given to people who asked via telephone or other communication means. This practice is being followed by all other employees that is concerned in answering the phone.

Thus, I can say the employees are respecting the grounds of privacy. But an official documentation for this guidelines should be carried out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
norma galua

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Electronic systems of any organization are prone to any unauthorized access, that’s why in every electronic system used there is always an electronic security implemented. However, these electronic securities are need of time to time upgrade as it become prone to hackers/crackers. Updates should be taken before hackers familiarized the security measures and sooner will find ways on how to enter the system. In USEP case of having those groups and individuals whom have entered the USEP System means that electronic security measures are in need of upgrades or implement a more secured electronic security.
Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
giesi mae l. gorgonio

PostSubject: assignment 8   Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:57 pm

I have a very little knowledge about data security and I don't know the details how USEP manage technically to protect the privacy of faculty, staff and students electronically. Basing on my observation and opinion, one way of protecting our privacy in USEP is the limitation of accessing websites that can be used for educational purposes only and the restriction in downloading executable files. In this way, we can be protected against malicious files and viruses. Another is that the systems used in USEP for confidential files are password-protected allowing only those that has right to access the said system. However, in telephone wires and connection, there are some interferences that I think needs to be fixed. But overall, I think problems in privacy arising in USEO is very minimal because the staff and administrator is doing well and is knowledgeable enough. Since nobody is perfect, there are some things that needs to be fixed and upgrade. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jazz

PostSubject: Assignment 7   Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:05 am

As for me, i think the University is unable to protect privacy of faculty, staff and students electronically. And why? Base on my observation, there are a lot of leakage in terms of the admin username and passwords for the student information program. Since student assistants can access the said program, which is should be not. I am not saying this because of a wild guess, but because I myself is a student assistant in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthony E. Catamora

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:21 am

As far as I am concerned, studying over five years in this University, USEP has been kind a seldom in addressing the issues regarding privacy of the students, faculty and staff as they reach electronically. Over the years I have been observant how was the security and privacy being implemented inside the school and I must invoke that the privacy and security as well are being set aside. There are several circumstances that the security and privacy of the students and staff in their networked electronic activities are being put to the test and the results showed that the security is totally weak. This will proved by the hacking and manipulation of account done by a certain student, and the Bypassing issues committed by a group of students in the IC and even myself can prove it. Hence, after those breaches done, the school is not doing enough to protect the privacy of everyone in the institution that makes it security weak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aecatamora.blogspot.com
julie ann niones

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:48 am

Secured? No one could have a 100 percent assurance that your data is secured electronically. It is always vulnerable for unwanted intrusion. And as for USEP is not secured at all since there are events that have been a proof of intrusion and thus, it needs to strengthen its security.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.janiones.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)   

Back to top Go down

Assignment 8 (Due: before February 20, 2009, 13:00hrs)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
2709rsgamboa6219 :: Subjects :: E-Commerce-
Jump to: