2709rsgamboa6219

This is MyWebForum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rsgamboa
Admin

PostSubject: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 am

How can you determine if outsourcing is advantageous to your organization? Would you recommend outsourcing to USEP?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rsg0927.forumsmotion.com
Hannah Rhea Hernandez

PostSubject: Outsource is USEP??   Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 pm

The question "In-source or Outsource?" has been heard of a lot lately. Such talks became noticeable to me just last semester when a professor asked our opinion about the said issue and I distinctly remember choosing "outsource". As I remembered, that on defense to my answer I have given reasons such as getting higher quality services at a lower cost. But then, I also said that choosing whether using in-source or outsource depends on certain details such as which is more suited for the environment it will be done in or what the system to be done is. It is a fact that sometimes in-house is better or well suited for "this" or "that" type of system than outsource and vice versa.

It feels quite funny that the given question "How can you determine if outsourcing is advantageous to your organization?" is like a question suggested from my past remark (which I restated above for those who haven't read my past post). In the past I have only read about outsource and in-source, thus having no actual personal experience (or proof to support my past answer) to this matter but a certain event happened in the university that I have suddenly realized the advantages of outsource.

Cutting the long story short, two of our professors where commissioned by the university to make/ improve a system in the school. This incident have created an avenue to observe what effects does in-house have and this issue have been subjected to discussion between my classmates, friends and I. In this given situation, I can say that outsourcing would be more advantageous and highly recommended in the university.

Why?

In one of our discussions, we have discussed certain points in which could support this thought. In a university like ours where the professors and staff are just enough to handle all classes it is certainly incapacitating to lose even one professor/staff over a period of time. My classmates and I, though very proud and happy that two of our professors were chosen to develop a system for the school, it can’t be helped that we feel a bit downhill losing two of our great professors (who were supposedly teaching us two major subjects this semester). I think that some believed in source was cheaper and advantageous in this situation since the system is needed very quickly and getting one who knows how the university runs will certainly save time and money. Well, those maybe true in that perspective but then how about the additional expenses the university have to pay the substitute teachers whom were commissioned to cover the classes left behind by our other professors?

Seeing and experiencing how we, my classmates and I were affected by this transition like our classes were held a bit to a stop for a time and the confusion on who will be teaching us and the changing of teaching patterns to which we were subjected were not only inconvenient for our part but also for our college. Some jobs were left undone, or idle which would not happen if outsource was applied. Some of use even thought that the overall expenses that the university dishes out in this in-house would be equal or maybe a bit greater compared to if they used outsource. Please note that I or we are not questioning the decision of the university for we are only referring to the events we have heard and experienced, it is just our opinion over this matter.

One ought to choose outsource when i such situations:

* The activity isn't central to generating profits or competitive success.
* The job is a routine one that wastes valuable time and energy.
* The task is a need that's only temporary or that recurs in cycles.
* It's less expensive to have someone else do it than to do it in-house.
* The activity can be done cheaper in-house, but drains resources that could be better used elsewhere.
* The skill required is so specialized that it's impractical to have a regular employee do it.
* The activity isn't one that people enjoy doing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.woophie.blogspot.com
Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 am

Outsourcing is getting resources outside the company/organization. When we talk of businesses outside world, outsourcing is very prominent. Almost every company adopts this system. The reason is simple, it is said to be the new concept in the business world that develops complex systems, elevates the economic growth, increases the competitiveness and enhances performance of the organization. Outsourcing is a great opportunity especially for the individuals who are lucky to have the job and it’s more advantageous for the company who is doing this kind of strategy. Although school is another story to talk about specially if we will talk about our very our school, same idea is true about outsourcing. Outsourcing could be of help in a way that the school can get programs outside that cannot be found or made inside the school. New ideas, strategies and implementations one cannot get we only rely on in-source.

Mentioned by my fellow above, we had dealt with this topic about outsourcing before, actually, that was about what we think is better for our school to adopt; would it be outsourcing or in-sourcing. What I chose to believe before is different from what I see right now. I had thought of in-source as a better way to adopt before for the reason that the university had a bunch of skilled programmers who can actually do the job better that anyone outside and maybe this could minimize the cost.

For now, I think I would recommend outsourcing to USEP. Yes, it's true that the university had good programmers but the problem is, these people had other responsibilities inside the school and for this reason, they cannot function and perform their respective duties well. Secondly, if the university will outsource its system, everything is ready and going well and the university can even assure that the system operates well, it comes from outside, it was paid so the programmers will do everything to satisfy the needs and requirements of the university. Maybe in-sourcing cost less but in a long run, it could spend big money like the case of our instructors where the university will have to pay them as programmers and as instructors. Improper use of money. I mean, it could have been use for other important matters that concerned the students.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kate_mariel_dizon

PostSubject: Assignment 6   Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 am

This assignment is somewhat similar to some previous assignment we had in MIS 1...

Just like before, I am leaning more towards outsourcing than in-sourcing. For organizations, money is not the only object that they need to watch out for. Probably a more important object in modern organizations is time. The decision to outsource is often made in the interest of lowering firm or making better use of time and energy costs, and redirecting or conserving energy that will be directed towards the business's core competencies. In simpler terms, outsourcing allows an organization to answer their needs[the reason for outsourcing] and focus their attention on developing their business and strategies. With the worries about in-house development solved by purchasing solutions from outside, they can now direct their resources and energy towards the more critical and essential aspects of the organization. They can now focus on what their primary role is and invest their time and effort in that role.

For USEP, I will still recommend outsourcing. Why? Let me give you one scenario. Two of IC's faculty,
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

, were just recently tasked to develop a new enrollment system for USEP. What are the repercussions of this event? First, both faculty, before the job, handled several classes for major subjects in IC. When they were assigned to develop the system, they had to give up their classes. The effect this had on the college and the students was time wastage. In the part of the college where the faculty belong to, they had to look for replacements who can teach the subjects the two faculty members formerly handled. Not only does this cost the university money, but also cost the students their time, time that should have been utilized to learn more about their subjects. Even after the two faculty members finish developing the system, who will introduce the system and train the users? It will still be them. And all this time, the university is paying them. Maybe for the faculty it is advantageous because they are getting paid, but for the paying organization, USEP, it is disadvantageous.

So, how would outsourcing be benificial to USEP? Basing on the previous scenario that I mentioned, outsourcing the system will not only benefit USEP but also the students. They will not have to pay the faculty who are developing the system. The faculty will not have to pull out from their classes to do the job. The college will not have to look for and pay the substitute teachers who filled in for the faculty. The student's studies will not have to be affected and delayed for weeks or even months.

This is only my opinion when talking about USEP. However, such approach might not work out for other organizations and it is still necessary that they plan about whether to in-source or outsource carefully and weigh the pros and cons that apply to their organization. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.katemarieldizon.blogspot.com
Adlaon,Kristine Mae

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Since, I am not a real-time organization owner as of now; most probably my answer would change at any time in the near future (hehehe). If I am an owner of a company I would really utilize and use all the talents, skills, and capabilities of my employees that would mean I am really in favor of an in-housing. Of course, there are some considerations in deciding as to in-source or outsource.

As what I have always been saying, I really want to become a systems analyst someday, and so, I have read a statement saying that “the more an analyst knows about how an organization works, the more effective he can be”,… and so I could say, that if one organization is planning or choosing whether to in-source or outsource especially if it involves a complete renovation of the organization in-sourcing is the best way. Since, employees working for that organization are already familiar with all the organization’s transactions.

Well, if an organization has limited number of employees and in-housing a job would cause TOO much delayed for the operation of the business, then better choose outsourcing. Also, if the business is quite big, that it operates world-wide, then outsourcing job is very much applicable (call center companies).

In the case of USEP, I would not recommend outsourcing. Why? Let me focus my answer to the case of Mr. Cagape and Mrs. Mercado. Before, the university has been paying P75, 000 (I don’t know if the figure is exact) every month for a system made by a third-party company. And I think, that figure is quite big enough and a pain in the pocket for the university.

Why the need to pay for that big amount, if the university itself could make their own system?

What’s with the vision, mission, goals and objectives if the university itself is paying for a technology made by a third party company? Isn’t that an insult or a degradation of honor?

It would be the pride and honor of the programmer but still, a part of the university is given a credit. As one said , “ it takes years of experience working for a company to really understand what is going on”.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonard Laganson

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 pm

In order to give me a better idea about the topic, I searched articles about outsourcing and found these helpful facts:

Outsourcing is subcontracting a process, such as product design or manufacturing, to a third-party company.[1] The decision to outsource is often made in the interest of lowering firm or making better use of time and energy costs, redirecting or conserving energy directed at the competencies of a particular business, or to make more efficient use of land, labor, capital, (information) technology and resources[citation needed]. Outsourcing became part of the business lexicon during the 1980s. It is essentially a division of labor.

As I see it, the meaning gave emphasis about outsourcing in terms of labor issues but in the university's condition, as I remember it right, it is more concerned on the software that the university is using in its systems. But then again the concepts that is underlying in the two issues are the same.

For me, outsourcing is a bad idea in our university. The fact that the services that we want to outsource is something that is under the scope of the university's offers. Why outsource something that we are molded to do? It's like a slap in the face that a university that aims to have the best education and is offering IT courses would spend so much of its resources to have a certain software to support its system. Why not get the students do it? If the university believe that they are molding globally competitive IT students they must in turn acknowledge our presence and give us a shot. It does not only give benefits to the university but to the students involved as well. This will give us useful experiences that would be in aligned in the purpose of the university which is to give us knowledge and experiences that would help us to be competitive as we face the outside world in the future.

I heard the news that our faculties are being hired to develop the certain software. And for me, its better that way, at least the one's solving the problem is a part of our institute. But it would be a lot better if students will be involved.

Here I sited some cases where outsourcing is a good thing to choose:

lower costs (due to economies of scale or lower labor rates)
variable capacity
the ability to focus on core competencies by ridding yourself of peripheral ones
lack of in-house resources
getting work done more efficiently or effectively
increased flexibility to meet changing business and commercial conditions
tighter control of budget through predictable costs
lower ongoing investment in internal infrastructure
access to innovation and thought leadership

Sources: http://www.cio.com/article/40380/ABC_An_Introduction_to_Outsourcing#2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsourcing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.active-guard.blogspot.com
SherylCaguimbaga

PostSubject: Assignment 6   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Which is better, to outsource or in-source? This question has been an issue not only in our university but also most especially in the business world wherein there is a high-level of competition among organizations. In MIS 1 (Management Information System), we were also asked to answer the question about outsourcing and in-sourcing that is related to the question I am answering right now. However, same as my first answer I am more into outsourcing side. Why outsourcing? Well I think, when we talk about advantages, outsourcing can give more of it.

Most of the organizations right now are outsourcing. They do outsource to help them do their works and for them to become globally competitive. Outsourcing really is an advantageous to the organizations especially those who lack of modern equipments and IT Professionals. For USEP, I will recommend outsourcing. My classmates already stated the reasons. However, one thing is for sure, the university will be helped to achieve its vision. Although we can say that it takes many cash, it is worth the cost when we speak of the outcome and the benefits. When we do outsource, it does not mean that we are ignoring the IT Professionals inside of the house or university, it is just because we need others to help us improve and achieve our vision. The university can also have focus on its primary role that is to prioritize students. Focus on the primary role is also one of the very reasons why organizations choose to outsource. Organizations can fully serve their clients at its best. With the help of other organizations, problems within the organization that are being outsourced can be solved and the service that they are giving to their clients cannot be interrupted. Talking about service interruption, just like what my classmates have stated above about the recent issue in the university, two of the IC faculties were given a task to develop a new enrollment system for the university. They were supposedly our teachers for the two subjects this semester but because of the task that was assigned to them; they had to give up their classes. Classes for the two subjects were delayed since there was a need of replacement for the two teachers. If the university had chosen to outsource, they would not have to pay for the teachers who substituted the former teachers of the subjects, classes would not have interrupted and time of the students could not have wasted. On the other hand, the opinion of mine is based on the information I have read about the power of outsourcing, its edge and on what I think is right and I do respect the decision that has made by the university.
Very Happy

Last edited by SherylCaguimbaga on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CherryannMontejo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 am

How can you determine if outsourcing is advantageous to your organization? Would you recommend outsourcing to USeP?

When we are in the midst of making a decision we usually visualize everything first before making moves. How can I determine if it can add improvement to my organization if I recommend outsourcing? Is there a need to outsource? In today’s time, outsourcing is already commonly introduced to every organization. Is it also for the reason that it offers a lot than in-source.

Yes, considering the fact that when we outsource we will have an access to a larger talent pool and a sustainable source of skills. But if I suggest outsourcing in my school it could be one of the biggest decisions to be made. Because when we outsource, it also means that we are withdrawing the business function involving the transfer of people and the sale or resources to a provider because we are hiring somebody else to do all or part of the work instead of the person or company originally hired.

I think there is no need for outsourcing in USeP because we have lots of human resources that are expert in the field of creating systems and things like making databases. We have lots of staffs that are brilliant enough to provide the needs of the school so there is no need for us to outsource. It will just cost us money to outsource while in fact we can still save a little amount if we just hire people inside the school to do the work. Yet, we can still acquire outside the organization to improve our ideas so that we can develop better systems.

Yes, it will advantageous if we outsource if the organization has limited staff to do a certain job in-house. If we want to improve something better that we think our resources cannot do the job. There is a need to outsource if we want to have access to operational best practice that would be too difficult or time consuming if we develop it in-house. And if we want to standardize our business process and that is the time we outsource.

Although outsourcing offers a lot more, the school can minimize the cost if they will hire people inside the organization and we can still make sure that our concept and design are out of harm’s way and protected.

cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronic Winmar Concepcion

PostSubject: outsourcing?   Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Outsourcing is subcontracting a process, such as product design or manufacturing, to a third-party company.[1] The decision to outsource is often made in the interest of lowering firm or making better use of time and energy costs, redirecting or conserving energy directed at the competencies of a particular business, or to make more efficient use of land, labor, capital, (information) technology and resources. Outsourcing became part of the business lexicon during the 1980s. It is essentially a division of labour.

The decision to outsource is taken at a strategic level and normally requires board approval. Outsourcing is the divestiture of a business function involving the transfer of people and the sale of assets to the supplier. The process begins with the client identifying what is to be outsourced and building a business case to justify the decision. Only once a high level business case has been established for the scope of services will a search begin to choose an outsourcing partner.
Due to the complexity of work definition, pricing, and legal terms and conditions, clients often utilize the advisory services of outsourcing consultants to assist in scoping, decision making, and vendor evaluation.
Criticisms of outsourcing

There is a strong public opinion regarding outsourcing (especially when combined with offshoring) that outsourcing damages a local labor market. Outsourcing is the transfer of the delivery of services which affects both jobs and individuals. It is difficult to dispute that outsourcing has a detrimental effect on individuals who face job disruption and employment insecurity; however, its supporters believe that outsourcing should bring down prices, providing greater economic benefit to all.

For me, outsourcing is good for USEP because of its benefits. Unlike insourcing, what we have experienced now, the department encountered difficulty in finding replacements for the outsourced employee. Besides, the replacements have a lot to learn. How can the students be globally competitive if they are not thought well?

Last edited by Ronic Winmar Concepcion on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mylair.tk
ymrebmomville

PostSubject: outsourcing   Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 pm

By knowing what is outsourcing and its benefits, I can determine if it is advantageous to the organization.

Outsourcing involves the transfer of the management and/or day-to-day execution of an entire business function to an external service provider.[2] The client organization and the supplier enter into a contractual agreement that defines the transferred services. Under the agreement the supplier acquires the means of production in the form of a transfer of people, assets and other resources from the client. The client agrees to procure the services from the supplier for the term of the contract. Business segments typically outsourced include information technology, human resources, facilities, real estate management, and accounting. Many companies also outsource customer support and call center functions like telemarketing, CAD drafting, customer service, market research, manufacturing, designing, web development, content writing, ghostwriting and engineering.

Outsourcing and offshoring are used interchangeably in public discourse despite important technical differences. Outsourcing involves contracting with a supplier, which may or may not involve some degree of offshoring. Offshoring is the transfer of an organizational function to another country, regardless of whether the work is outsourced or stays within the same corporation/company.
With increasing globalization of outsourcing companies, the distinction between outsourcing and offshoring will become less clear over time. This is evident in the increasing presence of Indian outsourcing companies in the US and UK. The globalization of outsourcing operating models has resulted in new terms such as nearshoring, noshoring, and rightshoring that reflect the changing mix of locations. This is seen in the opening of offices and operations centers by Indian companies in the U.S. and UK. A major job that is being outsourced is accounting. They are able to complete tax returns across seas for people in America.

Organizations that outsource are seeking to realize benefits or address the following issues:
• Cost savings. The lowering of the overall cost of the service to the business. This will involve reducing the scope, defining quality levels, re-pricing, re-negotiation, cost re-structuring. Access to lower cost economies through offshoring called "labor arbitrage" generated by the wage gap between industrialized and developing nations.
• Cost restructuring. Operating leverage is a measure that compares fixed costs to variable costs. Outsourcing changes the balance of this ratio by offering a move from fixed to variable cost and also by making variable costs more predictable.
• Improve quality. Achieve a step change in quality through contracting out the service with a new service level agreement.
• Knowledge. Access to intellectual property and wider experience and knowledge.
• Contract. Services will be provided to a legally binding contract with financial penalties and legal redress. This is not the case with internal services.
• Operational expertise. Access to operational best practice that would be too difficult or time consuming to develop in-house.
• Access to talent. Access to a larger talent pool and a sustainable source of skills, in particular in science and engineering.
• Capacity management. An improved method of capacity management of services and technology where the risk in providing the excess capacity is borne by the supplier.
• Catalyst for change. An organization can use an outsourcing agreement as a catalyst for major step change that can not be achieved alone. The outsourcer becomes a Change agent in the process.
• Enhance capacity for innovation. Companies increasingly use external knowledge service providers to supplement limited in-house capacity for product innovation.
• Reduce time to market. The acceleration of the development or production of a product through the additional capability brought by the supplier.
• Commodification. The trend of standardizing business processes, IT Services and application services enabling businesses to intelligently buy at the right price. Allows a wide range of businesses access to services previously only available to large corporations.
• Risk management. An approach to risk management for some types of risks is to partner with an outsourcer who is better able to provide the mitigation.
• Venture Capital. Some countries match government funds venture capital with private venture capital for startups that start businesses in their country.

Generally, it is advantageous to school’s administration. The reasons above states why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Melgar John Gascal

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:38 am

rsgamboa wrote:
How can you determine if outsourcing is advantageous to your organization? Would you recommend outsourcing to USEP?

Outsourcing is a company or person that provides information, to find a supplier or service, to identify a source. Outsourcing is subcontracting a process, such as product design or manufacturing, to a third-party company.

According to wikipedia, most organization uses this method, outsourcing because of these advantages:
~~~Cost savings - The lowering of the overall cost of the service to the business. This will involve reducing the scope, defining quality levels, re-pricing, re-negotiation, cost re-structuring. Access to lower cost economies through offshoring called "labor arbitrage" generated by the wage gap between industrialized and developing nations.
~~~Improve quality - Achieve a step change in quality through contracting out the service with a new service level agreement.
~~~Risk management - An approach to risk management for some types of risks is to partner with an outsourcer who is better able to provide the mitigation.
~~~Knowledge - Access to intellectual property and wider experience and knowledge.
~~~Commodification - The trend of standardizing business processes, IT Services and application services enabling businesses to intelligently buy at the right price. Allows a wide range of businesses access to services previously only available to large corporations.

I would not recommend outsourcing in USeP, it’s because of these advantages states above can be done in our in-house staffs. Speaking with the cost using outsource or in-source would really depend of the one who will going to do a particular task. I know the staffs in USeP have the knowledge and produce quality and excellent projects. And lastly in modification or updates, it is easier to update a system or software because the creator of it is in the organization.

References:
http://www.cyfuture.com/definition-of-outsourcing.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsourcing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Dan Gil Duran

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Most of my classmates say it’s more advantageous if an organization would implement outsourcing to their respective company well I certainly agree with them since outsourcing will help the organization in some way like for less expenses and some other things.
For our beloved school…I think it’s nice to have outsourcing here because of what we experiencing right now…our school adopt in-house with our two professors but what they did not know..Or I think they know...Or I don’t know…we, the left over and to be turn over students has a big problem regarding to our learning since we are confuse of what is happening…like one of our subjects…we have a teacher but we didn’t have a chance to meet and we have to communicate online…although it’s a good idea but we really don’t learn anything from it…maybe if they out source the making of the system maybe this could not be happening to us…schedule changes, time wasted, lessons delayed what a mess that make us think we’re forsaken ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.neverender24.blogspot.com/
Thomas Tangian

PostSubject: assign 6   Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 pm

In my own opinion In order to determine if you need to outsource the first thing to consider is the in house workers and the budget involve. In the case of Usep I can say that at this point in time it is still good to use outsourcing in order to save a lot of time and money. I know that the money envolved in outsourcing is really big but if the university will use insourcing at this time their are only few workers regardless of tapping the students. So it is still appropriate to use outsourcing I think the problem of using outsourcing is the money that will be spend and the system is not editable but using insourcing will save a lot of money if the workers are many and is appropriate to the job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paperview.forumotion.com
Riza Eve Gador

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:28 am

Here are some of the Benefits in outsourcing according to MDF System

1. Reduce overheads, free up resources
2. Minimize capital expenditure
3. Eliminate investment in fixed infrastructure
4. Offload non-core functions
5. Redirect energy and personnel into the core business
6. Free your executive team from day-to-day process problems
7. Focus scarce resources on mission-critical projects
8. Get access to specialized skills
9. Reduce need for internal commitment of specialists
10. Save on manpower and training costs
11. Control operating costs
12. Improve efficiencies through economies of scale
13. Improve speed and service
14. Level out cyclical or seasonal fluctuations
15. Eliminate peak staffing problems
16. Provide the best quality services, products and people
17. Be reliable and innovative
18. Provide value-added services
19. Increase customer satisfaction
20. Establish long-term, strategic relationships with world-class service providers to gain a competitive edge
21. Enhance tactical and strategic advantages
22. Focus on strategic thinking, process reengineering and managing trading partner relationships
23. Benefit from the provider's expertise in solving problems for a variety of clients with similar requirements.
24. Obtain needed project management and implementation consulting expertise
25. Acquire access to best practices and proven methodologies
26. Spread your risks
27. Avoid the cost of chasing technology
28. Leverage the provider's extensive investments in technology, methodologies and people
29. Reduce the risk of technological obsolescence
30. Increase efficiency by consolidating and centralizing functions
31. Keep pace and minimize the impact of rapid changes in technology without changing your infrastructure
32. Reduce the overall management burden while retaining control of strategic decision making.

Outsourcing is advantageous to a company if the company can afford to outsource. If the company or organization will not turn out to lay-off their personnel just to outsource.

For me in USEP they must outsource since they have a big budget and by outsourcing our professors in Institute of Computing will not be hired to create a system and they will only focus in teaching. Since they apply in the university as a instructor not just a programmer. Though they have the skills but it is more likely to share those skills to the student rather than making a enrollment system in the university.

Reference

What is Outsourcing?, wiseGEEK retrieved from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-outsourcing.htm

The Benefits of Outsourcing for Small Businesses, All Business A D&B Company retrieved from http://www.allbusiness.com/human-resources/workforce-management-hiring/1084-3.html

Tips and Trivia, mdfsystem retrieved from http://www.mdfsystems.com/artman/publish/article_19.shtml
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.everiza.blogspot.com
Michelangelo Macaraeg

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am

Using outsourcing schemes in an organization can lead to various advantages. Your organization will keep up to the trend, save time and maybe money...But in some occasions, outsourcing can be very expensive and risky...To determine if it is advantageous or the benefit it may bestow outweigh the costs, studies and researches are conducted..as what we do when we conduct changes in our organization, we must foresee and anticipate its effects and the results...
In the USEP, outsourcing can be recommendable..using resources outside the university will ensure that operations will still undergo undisturbed inside the university and no changes will have to be imposed on the inside. Yet, if it means paying a very high price of money and resources, it can also be advantageous. However, if insourcing is to be used, it is not wise if you require the organization to disrupt its operation as it may prove to be costly..Sacrificing the organization's operation will greatly affect its structure..Insourcing is only recommended when there is an extra resource inside the organization that can be used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mariechelle alcoriza

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I have actually remembered on one of our assignments in MIS I, whether in source or outsource. I chose in source, but right now, I’ve changed my mind. I choose the other way around Here’s why…

How can we determine if outsourcing is good in our organization?
For me, based on the experiences I had in USEP, we can determine if there is limited number of resources inside the organization. Just like in USEP, Institute of Computing, known as the “intellectual giants” in the University, of course there are also very competitive instructors but there are only 10 faculty members handling computer related subjects and teaching not only in IC but also to other colleges. Two of my instructors were chosen to do the student registration management information system of the University. Yes, it is our pride and honor that the two came from our college, but what are the after effects? Drawbacks? The two had to give up their classes (SAD and SE). In our SE, it reached one month, that we don’t know who is the substitute teacher. We know that we have a documentation to be done in that subject but then we are confused and disgusted, because we know time will come that the substitute teacher has to pressure us to submit the documents. Time is wasted, the University had to look for substitute teachers, of course they had to pay for those substitute teachers. One thing is also wasted is our time, the students. Based on our classmates who have undergone SE, they told us that SE is quite difficult subject, so from what we have heard, we have to be prepared for that. One month is big in terms of utilizing the time in order to learn about the subject.
But then after a month, the class resumed, the class resumed in YahooGroups. The reporting has been cancelled and our prelim exam is submitted online.

Instead of in house, USEP should choose outsourcing. Yes, we may make use of our own resources but then, it’s really costly and time consuming in terms of in house. As being said by Ms. Dizon above, we should make a better use of time and energy costs and redirecting or conserving energy that will be directed towards the business’ core competencies.

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maryrossinidiamante

PostSubject: Assignment 6   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 am

Outsourcing is a modern day boon. Outsourcing grants businesses the freedom to dump non-core, yet important sectors of its administration on companies specializing in those very individual aspects. The most enticing advantage of outsourcing is the cost effective factor.

With regard to the current issue of in-house employees developing the university’s enrollment system, employing some IC faculty in the said project greatly affects the students, the faculty and the department as well.

Having hired the in-housed personnel, long search of substitute teachers have caused interruption and delayed of classes of some major subjects. Having finished developing and implementing a system does assure the end the developers’ job. The system should be maintained and improved every now and then. With this fact, there is no definite assurance of having those selected faculty to teach again. As what Sir Gamboa said, there is actually no end or finished system. For as long as the developers still exist and it is still being utilized, the system itself will not cease from functioning.

True that the university is spending a large amount on using an outsourced enrollment system but if I were to have to say something about it, I think I would propose to the university the utilization of outsourcing. In the present state, the department and students are suffering and adjusting for having mislaid some of the faculty, I guess it would be better to lay off the job to others. But I think if it would be thoroughly thought out, maybe the university will be spending more having the system in-housed.

To end with, I think it is better to leave the decision-making to the ones who are good at this, to the analyst of this kind. It should be comprehensively be thought out first the advantage and disadvantage it could bring. Outsourcing’s main edge is to be cost effective, so until the day the cons of outsourcing outweigh the monetary factors, outsourcing as a reasonable and lucrative way to do business, is here to stay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
harleylovitos

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 pm

According to Wikipedia, outsourcing is subcontracting a process, such as product design or manufacturing, to a third-party company. The decision to outsource is often made in the interest of lowering firm or making better use of time and energy costs, redirecting or conserving energy directed at the competencies of a particular business, or to make more efficient use of land, labor, capital, (information) technology and resources.

In my own views, you can determine if the outsource product is advantageous to a certain firm if it really helps the transactions in the business and if the processes of the business more reliable and faster. The university can outsource since it is a government own school, it has lots of budget. But for me it is very expensive to outsource, why do we need to outsource if we can make our own system. We have lots of good programmer in the university like the professor and even students can help in developing a system. I will not recommend the university to outsource instead use our own resources.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davemar tabanyag

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:51 am

rsgamboa wrote:

It can be achieved through the a study of the organizations operational aspects, strengths and weaknesses both evaluated from its past performance of some years backwards and its present performance as well as a careful planning of an outsourcing implementation. Along with the planning of an outsourcing implementation should be a realization of the possible impacts of the change in social, financial, and organizational. To determine the advantage of outsourcing for an organization, it should take a good evaluation of the current situation and status of an organization with respect to the factors that affect the efficiency of the organization's upon getting its goals. An outsourcing plan should be developed to avoid the fall of the organization.

As what i have experienced USEP already has outsourced some of its assets such as the ECPAC "correct me if im wrong on the abbreviation" but i think has not prove anything yet but frustrations on the side of the implementers. I think its a result of bad decision making on the part of those that made the decision to replace instantly a long-running old system. The proprietary solution also slows the development of the system.

As of know i could not really say whether i would recommend outsourcing in USEP, but if given enough information showing the advantage of outsourced services to be used in the organization, wel then why not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)   

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6 (Due: before January 30, 2009, 13:00hrs)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1