2709rsgamboa6219

This is MyWebForum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rsgamboa
Admin

PostSubject: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 am

Is Freeware Free? (1000 words)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rsg0927.forumsmotion.com
Charmaine Joy Abrenica

PostSubject: Is freeware Free?   Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Is Freeware Free?

Free, it is just a very nice word to hear. You get something without giving anything first, who wouldn’t want that. Incorporating the ‘free’ word with anything in this world is just what we all may be hoping for. And if that would come true, I couldn’t think of anything else that we might be asking for more. This is totally applicable to the ‘free’ stuff scattered over the Internet that is felt or getting availed by millions of users all over world. Movies, mp3s, books, applications - name it and maybe you’ll have what you want in a matter of time just by downloading all of them for free. There are already hundreds or maybe already millions of site that hosts this kind of action or letting others download stuffs for free. As for now, majority of us has had already freeware games or applications installed on our computers at home or at work. But what is really meant when we say ‘freeware’? How really ‘free’ it could be?

Defining freeware according to Wikipedia site, it is a computer software that is available for use with no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware is often made available in a binary-only, proprietary form, thus making it distinct from free software. Freeware allows authors to contribute something for the benefit of the community, while at the same time allowing them to retain control of the source code, future direction of development and preserve its business potential. Freeware is different from shareware, where the user is obliged to pay (e.g. after some trial period or for additional functionality). The term freeware was said to be thought up by Andrew Fluegelman when he wanted to sell a communications program named PC-Talk that he had created but for which he did not wish to use traditional methods of distribution because of their cost. Fluegelman actually distributed PC-Talk via a process now referred to as shareware. Current use of the term freeware does not necessarily match the original concept by Andrew Fluegelman.

A freeware could only be called as ‘freeware’ if that software is fully functional for an unlimited span of time without cost, monetary or else. The license of the software can inflict restrictions or limitations on how it should be used involving personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combinations of the ones mentioned. Anything created with the freeware programs can be distributed at no cost such as graphics, documents, or sounds made by user. It is said that if ever you have played an online Java or Flash based games, you have used a freeware. The internet itself is also thought of as a freeware itself, an enormous collection of scripts, information, tools and resources that are, for the most part, absolutely free.

Open Source and Freeware

As to compare open source with freeware to understand the latter more, the difference between freeware and open source is that you do not have access to the source code legally. Organizationally making a difference, there is no community and no development infrastructure around "freeware" as there is around open source software. So while you can use freeware as it is, there is no possible way to develop it or get hold of sustaining it. Open source means that the source code is available to all potential users, and they are free to use, modify, and re-distribute the source code. Legally, the "free" of open source refers exclusively to the source code, and it is possible to have support, services, documentation, and even binary versions which are not monetarily free.

Shareware and Freeware

Shareware is said to be another concept. You can download and try shareware for free, but if you use it, you are supposed to pay for it. It is developed and released by someone who keeps full control of the intellectual property. The user does not have access to the source code and cannot modify it. There is also no collaboration or community around shareware.

So the only difference between shareware and commercial software is that you can download and try shareware for free. Users are ultimately dependent on the developer of shareware for enhancements and support like other commercial software. Thus, shareware is "free" as in "Free Sample" that we see in malls.

But why does someone wants to work hard of something and just gives it for free? As said, Freeware is about programmers wanting to share what they've created with the world at large, be it a useful tool, a kick-ass game or even a simple script. Those people who create freeware like to share what they've made, and wanted to get some credit from the wider community for making something useful. So if ever you get to use a freeware next time, maybe it would not hurt if we give those ‘generous’ creators of freeware a dose of encouragements by visiting their site and leave them a message like, ‘keep up the good work’ or ‘ you’re doing a great job’. Freeware programs are either distributed for the love of society, for prominence, or as stripped down versions of programs that cost money. For the most part, this is the realm of the independent, or "freelance," developer. Remarkably, some of the very best programs for use on the Internet are completely free. Most freeware, even though it's not commercially sold, is copyrighted by the author.

As to answer the question ‘Is freeware free?’ my answer would be yes. Yes, it is free in terms of we could be able to use it as long as we want without ever paying for it to use it for longer time or like forever. The only thing that makes it not ‘free’ in terms of you could completely own of it, is that is has its own imposed restrictions which controls its usage or how it should be properly used in spite of it being free. It has its other perimeter defined alongside with other stuffs that comes with a ‘free’ feature.

Sources:
http://www.en8848.com.cn/Article/Computer/Software/14069.html
www.wikipedia.com
http://www.ask.com/web?q=dictionary%3A+freeware&content=ahdict%7C36207&o=0&l=dir
http://opensourcestrategies.blogspot.com/2005/09/freeware-vs-shareware-vs-open-source.html

Laughing

Last edited by Charmaine Joy Abrenica on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miah Mae C. Bernaldo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:49 am

All about freeware

Freeware as a definition according to freewarehome.com is a free software which are often written by enthusiasts and is distributed by users' groups, or via electronic mail, local bulletin boards, Usenet, or other electronic media. Freeware based on experiencefestival.com is that it is computer software which is made available and free of charge, not necessarily free to be used, copied, studied, modified and redistributed.

Freeware includes all different software applications like drivers (such as Audio, CD-Rom, Libraries/Dlls), Internet Tools (such as Video Search, Browsers, etc.), anti viruses, Internet tools for instance the web browser, desktop icons, themes, screen savers, music and videos and many more for as long as it is free.
According to Wikipedia.org, the criterion for a software or application to be classified as a freeware is that it must be fully functional for an unlimited time with no cost. These kind of software are usually available over the internet. Freeware also have limitations, since freeware typically is proprietary because of the some characteristics similar to a proprietary software, it is distributed without source code and do carry a restrictive license in which might allow the software to be copied freely, but not to be sold and might forbid for commercial use.

Shareware vs. Freeware vs. Open Source

Freeware, Shareware and Open Source. Most people get confused when they heard these three words. Maybe because there are some instances that they have been similar to. But Freeware, Shareware and Open Source are different from each other. Shareware software can be downloaded fro free but is offered as a trial version in which some features are not available. When your trial version have expired, mostly there will prompt that you should upgrade the said software, it is when the time you have to pay for that software by purchasing the complete version of the said software and when you do, its when the time you can use the advance features of the that software. Shareware as wee see is a free trial version of a commercial or proprietary software. Not similar to freeware and open source which are not proprietary software.

Freeware like open source software are both available for free of use but these two sometimes differ from each other. Although it is both distributed freely, freeware are created by one or a few of people and its source code is usually not open for the public unlike in open source software. The open source software are usually developed by a group of people and anyone is allowed to join that group as long as that individual can contribute something to the project and it source code is open to all but under with its copyright laws which are enforced by the different software vendors. In contrast with the how experiencefestival.com define freeware, open source software can be used, copied, studied, modified and redistributed and may or may not be free of charge. According to jaystech.com, “proprietary software’s can also be freeware software which are generally used by companies to help developers, students and communities to develop software skills while using this freeware software, but not to loose their business potential software companies don’t give the source code of the software’s. “

I can’t say that one is much better than that of the others since Freeware, Shareware and Open Sources software have different advantages and will benefit us in different ways depending on where we would use the software and why we would use it. It is much better to get a deeper knowledge about these three before dealing with it.

Today there are many sites that offers free download of freeware such as bestfreewaredownload.com (http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/ ), freewarezoom.com ( http://www.freewarezoom.com/) and many more. Such websites have free download links in which user can download a free software that they want. Because it is free many internet users are supporting this kind of software. Many proprietary software users today are now switching to freeware.

Because of the countless free downloadable software available in the net maybe other people who are not so aware may ask why such peoples are distributing that kind of free software and how would they benefit from it when they give it for free? But as said, the programmers, designers and the other distributor of freeware are benefiting form it when their projects get supported and sponsored by other big closed-group developers in which they get a lot of donations from it. Initially, freeware distributors are the people who wanted to share what they have created to other people. Similarly, Andrew Fluegelman the first who think up of the word freeware. Freeware was first coined by Andrew Fluegelman, according to experiencefestival.com it started when he wanted to distribute a communications program named PC-Talk that he had created but for which he did not wish to use traditional methods of distribution because of their cost. Previously, he held a trademark on the term "freeware" but this trademark has since been abandoned. Fluegelman actually distributed PC-Talk via a process now referred to as shareware. Like Andrew Fluegelman, maybe some programmers were too generous enough to distribute free software on the web. I’m thankful that there are computer softwares and applications that are free and I am one of the millions of people who are downloading for it for free.

I know most of us wanted to get some things for free. Well even if others will disagree about it, the truth is, to be practical it is much better to get some things for free. I know not in all circumstances but mostly all. That is why many have been patronizing freeware and open source software. Because of the countless freeware and open source available on the web I am included on the millions of people who would said “Why buy when there’s available for free?” As what it is called “freeware” is indeed free. It is free because of the reason that we could use it for as long as we want while not paying from its usage.

Reference:

1. http://www.freewarehome.com/
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware
3. http://www.jaystech.com/2008/07/what-is-difference-between-freewarefree.html
4. http://www.ebswift.com/OpenSource/
5. http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Freeware/id/1929642
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://spongeemyn.blogspot.com/
Agnes Galinato

PostSubject: FREEWARE: Is it really free?   Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Are there things still for free?

As far as I remember hearing software, hardware, adware, shareware and freeware seemed like the same concept. All of them have –ware in the last part, which I thought was a component of every computer related terms. I almost thought that tupperware is also among them.

Freeware form what I had understand it is some kind of distribution style with regards to software. The term is constantly associated with programs downloaded over the internet. From Wikipedia , there are numerous form or kind of distribution among these is : Abandonware • Adware • Beerware • Careware • Commercial software • Crippleware • Demoware • Donationware • Foistware • Freely redistributable software • Free software • Freeware • Nagware • Open source • Otherware • Postcardware • Registerware • Retail software • Shareware. Seeing from its wide scope, there are really different ways of sharing application or programs over the internet.

I myself, during my earliest years in the Computing World or in the Information Technology age, freeware is a big “NO, NO” for me. I was thinking that all that is given even if in its very lowest rate should be properly compensated. If I am a programmer that create programs would at least have something out of my work. But this perception was very way beyond my head. It was then that I realized, that not all programmers and developers are selfish and greedy enough to create such actions. Freeware as describe in Wikipedia “is computer software that is available for use with no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware allows authors to contribute something for the benefit of the community, while at the same time allowing them to retain control of the source code, future direction of development and preserve its business potential. Freeware is different from shareware, where the user is obliged to pay (e.g. after some trial period or for additional functionality)”. There are also software that are available for grabs without any monetary support. Which I think is a really great idea. The computing world or the virtual world can be seen as a living community where people should helped each other to prosper. Sharing freeware over the net is one of the actions for these cause. As I observed from the construction of some freeware, it is not really complete “free”. I have come up with these because some freeware are still connected to other software that should be included or an added-up. But of course not all freeware are into these construction. Nowadays, more and more freeware are raising into immense numbers, that almost all application have a corresponding freeware. Some of these application and programs are the following: KML Generator 1.24, which this utility can be used to analyze GPS log files containing NMEA string data and then generate Google Earth (TM) compatible KML files, Auslogics Disk Defrag (disk defragmentation) disk fragmentation leads to system slowdowns, PC crashes, slow startups and shutdowns. It is also designed for fast optimization of modern hard disks, Digital Clip Factory creates slide shows using the "Ken Burns" motion effects with, music and transitions. Burn your movies to DVD or publish them to the web. "Pictures say more..." True, if you use Digital Clip Factory application to create those "Ken-Burns" effects you like and export it to a compatible Windows Media File. There is also a freeware called LingoPad which is a Multilingual Dictionary. It contains a German ↔ English dictionary; other dictionaries (Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian or Arabic) can be downloaded as well. You can also import your own wordlists and use them parallel to the existing dictionaries. For each dictionary, a user dictionary can be defined to include additional wordlists. Having these kind of software available is a big help for those people who cannot afford to purchase expensive programs.

Some people mistakenly compare FREEWARE, SHAREWARE and Open Source. These three have different purposes as well as unlike definition. Freeware as stated is something that is downloadable without any monetary fund support, the user can create things on what the application is functional for without any expiration date. A criterion was also stated in Wikipedia where “the only criterion for being classified as freeware is that the software must be fully functional for an unlimited time with no cost, monetary or otherwise. The software license may impose restrictions on the type of use including personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combination of these. For instance, the license may be "free for personal, non-commercial use". Everything created with the freeware programs can be distributed at no cost (for example graphics, documents, or sounds made by user). Shareware is different since the sharing is free but using it well cost you money. Its like posting an ad and when you contact them and buy from them, it is expected that you must pay. Open Source in the mean time, which I am aware of is also different from these two. Open Source are programs that are free but anyone can alter or modify the content of its source code for future development. It’s like a big project given to every developers in the world. Everyone can have the opportunity to examine the program and if any bugs or defects seen it can be changed. That is the advantage of open source software. There are also many people who can help whenever there is something wrong with the open source application since it is already being viewed by many experts.

So I can say that not all freeware are free. I think that it freeware is also concerned with its difficulty or use. If a freeware is in small packages and do not have any links to other application, then these things are fully free Another thing that may contribute to the distribution of these freeware is it availability. Any people can see different freeware almost everywhere. . But if freeware is given with an remarkable purpose, I think it is associated with other much bigger software which is not for free anymore. I think that all is business when it comes technology. It’s like a strategy to get attention of customers and users.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware
http://www.freewarehome.com/
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-freeware.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
norma galua

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Is freeware free? From the word itself free, it’s a software offered free of charge, download from the internet and anyone are given a chance to redistribute it without any compensation. Software created by developers to be distributed for free for users around the globe. Most of many licensed software has a very high cost that’s why most users are preferred to use freeware rather than to purchase licensed software. Given that it’s downloadable over the internet it offers an advantage as well as disadvantage for end users. To avoid your computer from software error because of the use of freeware, it is recommended that the software have lots of positive recognition from both developer and supplier. Information about this is available in the internet. Since its downloadable freeware only contain the necessary components that supported the functionality of the software presented. No additional features added that sometimes cannot be utilized by the users. That’s why it commonly doesn’t require a lot of memory space allowing users to maximize the use of its memory space. Being downloadable it also provides some risk on user’s computer system. User’s computer is more prone for spyware. Spyware won’t only slowed down your system performance but also prone to unauthorized access by hackers and crackers scattered around the globe.

Free open source software or FOSS is the most widely known freeware. It’s called ‘open source’ because the code behind those application is accessible to anyone who have an intention to redistribute it. Freeware as being distributed for free and does not require any charges for redistribution, it does have licenses. The End User License Agreement or EULA is a specific license for freeware. The agreement prohibits any alteration, repackaging and selling of programs. Redistribution of unmodified program is allowed and the licensed agreement should remain unchanged. This conformity with the end users provides assurance for software developer to be guaranteed on the proper redistribution and implementation of the software. As freeware a commonly created by programmer in most of their free time, it does not often come out with technical support. Other programs are not even having an extensive Help Menu. It doesn’t always have a user friendly environment compared with licensed softwares which don’t have an extensive Help Menu, also have an organizational website dedicated to help users in technical supports.

Since it don’t have technical supports, freeware is not suitable for the commercial and business used. Freeware is commonly intended for personal used. Once it is installed in you computer users are assumes all the responsibility for its implementation and usage. And if its distribute commercially or associated in any business, then users are held wider accountability of its use. With this, users are required to read and understand the licensed agreement provided in the initial part of installation to avoid problems in the later used. However, most freeware users are technically literate so they were able to distribute software commercially with the association of other software. With the online connectivity, learning those technical supports for freeware given with ease for the end users. There are personal websites for software programmer that serves most likely as licensed software sites that provide answers for FAQ’s.

There are confusions on the end users part regarding the distribution of freeware. There are programs that are known to be free ware but require users to view some online ads before using or while using the program. If that so, its not technically freeware but an adware. According to Wikipedia, adware or advertising supported software is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or download advertisements to the computer after the software is installed or the application is being used. These advertisements encourage users to visit the site of featured products and services. However, this was not as effective as many users consider these ads as interruptions of the work and has no benefits for them. Another instance, if software is offered free but required payment if the software is used past the trial period time. This is called as shareware that refers to copyrighted commercial software that is distributed without payment only on a trial basis. The aim of this software is to give users the opportunity to used the system and have tested it usefulness before purchase for the whole version of the system. Shareware can be redistribute commercially as technical supports and extensive help menu are provided after purchasing the entire version of the software.

Maximizing the usability of freeware will not only help users to save money from purchasing high cost licensed software but also make them save memory space from their computer. It also allowed them to redistribute the software as long as no modification takes place on the software in following the End User Licensed Agreement. Upon its installation the user is held accountable for the effects it can cause in their computer system. So, one should be vigilant in choosing the right freeware to use. Before downloading freeware, users should know the software to download as well as have installed a good anti spyware program on your computer.

Based on the information I have searched, I can say that freeware is really free. Free from any charges on its redistribution. However, there are misconceptions about freeware as free because some software tends to be freeware from the start but require charges from the user especially if it is associated with other software. As what I have understood, freeware is primarily for the purpose of personal used. With the end user licensed agreement it imposes restrictions on the usage of the software. Freeware is free for personal and non-profit use but not with commercial use. So, everything created with the freeware software should be distributed with no cost. Freeware in commonly compose of components for the functionality it presented but if users still need extra functionality, chances are it has to associate with other software where he can get those functionality. Since there is already interoperability among computer software that makes almost all software on the same category compatible with each other, the users could have a wide variety of software to choose. However, it depends on him if he chooses other freeware software to associate with the first one or not. Freeware doesn’t concern on the software associated with it either it’s also free or not. Freeware is free only on the functionality it presented but if users wanted to commercialize it, then it’s his responsibility to fee for not free software that can make the application he wanted.

Reference:
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/website/whatIsFreeware.cwd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/247128/the_advantages_and_disadvantages_of.html
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid14_gci1231721,00.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
regina e. abadilla

PostSubject: Is freeware Free?   Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Most people wonder the scope of being free of certain stuffs and its difference to the others; Even me at first get confused on the how it differs from the shareware, and FOSS (Free and Open source Software). Definitely, there’s a lot difference in these terms.

Shareware: We could download it and the usage is under limited version or full version yet with limited span of time. It has the concepts “try before we buy”. It’s a good strategy anyway, we could secure that the software that we intend to purchase is under our control and choice.

Free and Open Source Software: This term is a combination of free software and has open source which can be used, make modifications and even study it without restrictions. It can be copied and distribute it with or without modifications, and the nice thing bout this that users gets the full version and features of the software just for free. But then, the source code is available under a copyright, which vary in different definitions enforced by different vendors.

Freeware? It is a computer software available to use without cost – free. It is often create by the enthusiasts distributed by users' groups, or via electronic mail, local bulletin boards, Usenet, or other electronic media. Freeware doesn’t compromise also in proprietary. It is generally used to help the developers or beginners in the community to develop their software skills, but securing the source codes. It just means, unlike the open source software, the developers don’t have access and even modify the software’s source code. Freeware is copyrighted software; it could be copied but just for the sense of trying out the software.

Just as what I had said, freeware is typically proprietary. It is not said to be totally free because of such limitations. It is distributed without source code, and restricted with a license agreement. The agreement varies; sometime the license allows software to be copied but not to sold, and just uses it for personal means. The concept of freeware gives much advantage on the world of Windows – the one dominating in proprietary system. People don’t need to be at the Linux world or any open source just to get free. Freeware is created for non-traditional means of distribution which associated of charge.

Through information over the web, I had known that there so many variations of freeware. Some tend to still benefit even the logic of distribution it as freeware. Definitely, every thing is made with purpose, and for the sense that both party could still benefit. We are asking how do the authors could benefit in there works? In fact there so many ways they could –some stuffs in return. Freeware could help in the aspect vendor lock-in, the commercial vendors often releases software to the public for free to break the dominating vendors, attracting the customers to other services. But then, when the users are required to view the advertisements before accessing the software – strategy to still gain profit, some says it’s a form of freeware but technically it’s an adware. Some also ask for donation for the authors or to the charity in response to the availability of the software, this is still considered as freeware because the donation is not mandatory but technically it is called as donationware. Some commercial software also or with obsolete copyright, had been abandoned can be distributed as freeware also - abandonware.

Although freeware does not require financial aspects in return, it still has a user license of the End User License Agreement. Each license is specific yet some restrictions in common just as forbidding altering the program, repackaging and selling it. It is often to observe that freeware is jus for personal use, and any business related use requires a paid license. We could read the license agreement that comes from the freeware program at the initial stage of installation. It is for us to agree or to deny the conformity. As we agree to the license agreement, we as users assume to hold the responsibility for the usage of the software. The customer support is also limited. Freeware in common, doesn’t have technical support, or even Help menu and documentations. Many of the authors of these code the programs in their extra time and don’t even bother to have resources to offer technical support to the uses. It just means that most programs doesn’t have user or operator’s manual. Even the fact, that there are no built-in documents in the programs, the users could gain information through visiting the websites of the authors, there are newsgroups for the users helping other users – community. The users could even email them for some feedbacks and comments, some authors provide their emails for this kind of support.

Scrutinizing the thought of being the software as freeware, we must be thankful for it. We could use it for free, and I supposed it is nice to even give them some feedbacks, nice encouragement, and email postcards for thanks. Not that bad idea I guess. Freeware has proven as benefit to the computer users. With the concept of this, many talented coders was encouraged to write handy programs. Many also use it as a stepping stone to garner sales when they could create robust editions of software and with this, they could now offer it with cost. In this sense, the authors would change there standing form distributing freeware to shareware.

In summary, asking is freeware free. Of course it is free yet in a sense – free of charge, not necessarily free to used, modified, studied and redistributed. The freeware distribution is like a shareware also but then, except that shareware requires payment after the trial period. Now I’m practicing making simple system and programs, even I didn’t ever create it with financial compensation coz its for academic purpose, I am still looking forward in the future that I would be making for charge. I was then thankful that there are developers over there making stuffs for the goodness of the users.

References:
http://www.freewarehome.com/
http://www.jaystech.com/2008/07/what-is-difference-between-freewarefree.html
http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Freeware/id/1929642
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clenemae G. Galgao

PostSubject: Is Freeware Free?   Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Is Freeware Free?

We discuss free software for the previous years and our understanding about it is that a person has a freedom to use anytime, you are free to distribute it to other people, you’re allow to modify, then re run the software without any compensation.

According to several site, freeware is, as the name suggests, free for your use. Wikipedia.com defined freeware as computer software that is available for use with no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware is often made available in a binary-only, proprietary form, thus making it distinct from free software. Freeware allows authors to contributes something for the benefits of the community, while at the same time allowing them to retain control of the source code, future direction of development and preserve its business potential. And it does not required financial compensation. Often, a program is only available as freeware if it is for personal use, while commercial or business use requires a paid license. It is important to read any license that comes with the freeware program. The license will appear during the initial stages of the installation process. As with most software, freeware is offered "as is" and the user assumes all responsibility for its use. The only criterion for being classified as freeware is that the software must be fully functional for an unlimited time with no cost, monetary or otherwise. The software license may impose restrictions on the type of use including personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combination of these. For instance, the license may be "free for personal, non-commercial use". Everything created with the freeware programs can be distributed at no cost (for example graphics, documents, or sounds made by user).
Freemailtutorials.com, Freeware is software offered free of charge, downloadable off of the internet. Each license is specific to the freeware it is bundled with, but some restrictions are common to most programs. Which for example, most freeware forbids to alter the program, repackage it, or sell it. it might allow redistribution, however , as long as the program is unchanged and the license agreement is intact.

What is freeware and software? Freeware and Shareware are software programs available for download from the Internet or through purchase in a store. Shareware is software that is distributed free on a trial basis with the understanding that the user may need or want to pay for it later. Some software developers offer a shareware version of their program with a built-in expiration date (after 30 days, the user can no longer get access to the program). Other shareware (sometimes called liteware) is offered with certain capabilities disabled as an enticement to buy the complete version of the program.
Programming that is offered at no cost is called freeware. However, it is copyrighted so that you can't incorporate its programming into anything you may be developing. The least restrictive "no-cost" programs are uncopyrighted programs in the public domain software. These include a number of small UNIX programs. When reusing public domain software in your own programs, it's good to know the history of the program so that you can be sure it really is in the public domain.
Copyrighted software given away for free by the author. Although it is available for free, the author retains the copyright, which means that you cannot do anything with it that is not expressly allowed by the author. Usually, the author allows people to use the software, but not sell it.

Freeware is, as the name suggests, free for your use. Shareware, on the other hand, is provided for trial usage. You are expected to purchase the program if you continue to use the program past the trial date.

But both freeware and shareware are often provided "as is." For security purpose they recommend that user may download those freeware programs from reputable, trusted sources.

Freeware is software developed created by volunteers, and distributed for free. Most of the time, freeware is developed by a single programmer.

To list the very best software which is completely free for non-commercial use. Freeware programs listed do not time-out, are fully functional (though they may be ‘lite’ versions of commercial or shareware programs) and the author does not demand payment for the continued use of the program.

But freeware cannot be modified it is proprietary software but the author gives the user the authority to use it for free. The user is restricted to improve the program and release the improvements to the public with its own version of codes. It is said that, “retain control of the source code”.

In the web we can see a lot of available software that we can download without paying for it like movies, songs, books, or other software. It is just a click away from hundreds of existing site we can search in the web. Most of us are relying on “free” available software including games or software applications.

As to the answer to the question “Is Freeware Free”, as from what I understand from the definition stated above, yes, it is free. It is free in terms of allowing an individual to use the software without any cost and for as long as the user wanted the software to be used. It is specifically free for personal usage only. Because the author allows people to use the software they created but not selling it. Only it is not available or restricted of you want to own or you will made some changes to what the author created.

Bibliography:

Bibliography
https://help.attbusiness.net/index.cfm?fuseAction=home.viewContent&content_id=7322&category_id=7218
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid39_gci212159,00.html
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/f/freeware.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glayra P. Bustamante

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

YES but NO to some extent…

There are amazing things we think of when we mention the word “FREE”. Free is always associated with no cost which we sometimes see as very helpful thing when we want to acquire what we wanted. Oftentimes, it is associated with limitless, means that you can use a particular thing as long as you wanted and do whatever you want over that thing. Now, when we bring these two words altogether, no cost at a limitless time is really beneficial for us acquiring for things we want and we significantly, need.

No cost and limitless use is actually applied in software. There are lots of software available in the internet or even distributed through CDs, and they are categorized accordingly: adware, shareware, free software (not to be confused with freeware since it commonly referred to as Open Source Software), Demoware, Freeware and other –ware out there. These are just some of the few ware categorizations of software available to the users. Now, freeware is substantially, unique from all of them since from the word itself, it immediately tells us that it is a software for free. Well, freeware as defined in wiseGEEK, “is a software offered free of charge”. Mostly, freewares are downloadable from the internet wherein you can really attest that the software packages are free of charge when you do not have to pay for it or use trial versions which is commonly called as Shareware. Most freewares do offer unlimited span of use and some offer you to acquire for another version which is definitely free too.

Freeware similar to open source, you get to realize the freedom to acquire software for free. Free, a very simple yet, catchy word is what we always wanted. Indeed, personally, I really wanted that all software I want and I need must be free of cost, but then, I sometimes do think that if I would be the programmer, that would not be fair in my part, maybe for me, it depends on the level of difficulty and purpose of your software on whether it should be with cost or without. Gladly, there are some brilliant programmers and developers who distribute their works for absolutely free which is really very kind for their part. Now, what is the difference between freeware and open source? Users can alter the source code of open source and definitely, they can be part for the developments of the software. While in freeware, only the software itself, not its source code is available to the users. This what makes the open source great since you can make sure of yourself that there would be new developments for the software every now and then since there are contributors for its developments.

On the other hand, freeware and shareware are quite similar since they both offer free of charge though the big difference of them is that shareware offers not the full version of the software with limited functionalities at a limited use of time which will eventually lead the users to buy for a licensed one, the full version. Freeware somehow is the opposite of it aside from they offer free cost.

Now, though freeware is absolutely free, it somehow has a user agreement or EULA (End User License Agreement) to add some restrictions to the program itself and to ensure that the software can not be altered, repackage, or sold. By the way, most freeware does have technical support in the internet or sometimes in the help menu of the said software. This could significantly add to the satisfaction of the users in using the software for free. Now, this freeware becomes “not free” if their technical support, manuals are paid first before they are acquired.

This is what my classmate Agnes has said in the last part of her answer to the question “Is freeware free?” Some business organizations have used several strategies to promote their business by distributing free software which later becomes sort of shareware when the user has to pay first before they can acquire what they need. But to clarify, these are not shareware. Freeware are not shareware and vice versa. It just that the company takes strategic actions that at the end, they can benefit from the freeware they had distributed. For example, if the freeware has further advancements or special features available but it must be connected or linked to another software which has a cost, that is when business comes in between the users and the distributors of freeware who use such business tricks.

Another situation we can relate to it is that when you have won a house for free but later you need to make some maintenance of the said house, this would likely be possible in freeware, some technical problems or errors the software might be encountered later can not always be solved by the technical support it offers. That is when you need to spend something to fix it… Absolutely, it is not free when you had to spend a single cent for it. I am referring to the maintenance of the software after you had acquired it. Some troubleshooting on the errors it might encounter could also ask you to spend a little for it, that is just one of the possibilities. I am just trying to say that maybe the word free associated to freeware is best understood on that moment when you acquire it at no cost. This will eventually change when freeware is paid little by little as time goes by since as we know, we can use it with limitless time, which means we would be maintaining the software for a longer span of time having all the possibilities of spending for it (though maybe, just little that it would almost be “free”…).

Indeed, in the real world we live in, there is nothing free. Everything has a cost in its particular kind of fee. We live freely but we had to spend some time and effort to live our lives the way it should be. And so this applies to the software, though freewares are free in terms of you do not have to pay in acquiring for it but later, you would realize that you had spent a cent for it.

References:
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid39_gci212159,00.html
http://www.computerscrapbooking.com/pages/fonts/shareware.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Van M. Buladaco

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm

Is freeware free?

Apparently from the word itself it shows its meaning. ITS TOTALLY FREE!

According to wikipedia.org, "Freeware is computer software that is available for use with no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware allows authors to contribute something for the benefit of the community, while at the same time allowing them to retain control of the source code, future direction of development and preserve its business potential."

Freeware refers to software that the software copyright owner gives away for free. They still own the copyright in the software and can establish the terms under which it can be used and distributed. Many freeware programs will include some information from the owner about how it can be used and any restrictions that may apply. You are legally bound to abide by any conditions the owner requires. Freeware is software that you can download off the Internet and use for free. However freeware may not always provide much help in terms of support if the software goes wrong, so there is always a certain amount of risk when using freeware. The source code of freeware is also widely available, therefore modification, updates and future development can be contributed to by a community of programmers, rather than just the author. Whilst freeware will be free for use, for home users, and without restrictions, this may not be the case for commerical use. The software license will indicate if academic and commercial use will be prohibited or not. Freeware means that you do not have to pay or donate in order to use the software. All of our freeware programs are functioning versions of the software that can be downloaded, installed, used and updated manually for free. Freewill donations are always gladly accepted and are used to support our freeware programs and their development. Some of our programs also have additional features (such as automatic updating) which are available for a small fee to help cover our costs. It is not necessary to purchase these additonal features in order to use our programs. By charging a small fee we are able to make the add-ons available for those who want them while still offering our security and privacy software for free.

According to nationmaster.com "The term freeware was coined by Andrew Fluegelman when he wanted to sell a communications program named PC-Talk that he had created but for which he did not wish to use traditional methods of distribution because of their cost." Previously, he held a trademark on the term "freeware" but this trademark has since been abandoned. Fluegelman actually distributed PC-Talk via a process now referred to as shareware. The term was coined by Andrew Fluegelman[?] when he wished to distribute a program he had created but did not wish to use traditional methods of distribution due to distribution costs. Previously, he owned the trademark to the term freeware but this trademark has since been abandoned.

from info.com

There are many variations on the freeware model. Freeware is an umbrella term which includes:

* Loss leader . Commercial vendors often release freeware as a loss leader to attract customers to other services or products available for a fee.
* Adware . Adware is distributed as freeware, but it requires the user to view advertisements to use the software. Many cases of spyware have been adware.
* Donationware or Beggarware or Nagware . The authors of donationware ask that anyone using their software make a donation to the authors or to some third party such as a charity . Because the donation is optional, donationware may also be freeware or fall into some other category.
* Abandonware . Abandonware is commercial software that has not been sold for a long time or whose copyright holder is defunct; it has been "abandoned". The licenses of most such software forbid redistribution or require payment, so distributing it violates the author's copyright (even if the author does not or cannot enforce it). "Legal abandonware" is a misnomer for commercial software that has been re-released by the copyright holder as freeware.
* Postcardware . The software is essentially freeware, however the author requests that you send a post card expressing thanks and providing feedback.
* Baitware . Very limited or defective freeware software, released to deceptively attract users and drive them to commercial products.
* Beerware . Free, but you must promise to chip in for a case of Beer if you ever meet the developer in person.

Freeware is different from Shareware. Shareware is software that is distributed free on a trial basis with the understanding that the user may need or want to pay for it later. Some software developers offer a shareware version of their program with a built-in expiration date (after 30 days, the user can no longer get access to the program). Other shareware (sometimes called liteware) is offered with certain capabilities disabled as an enticement to buy the complete version of the program.

So, FREEWARE IS FREE.

References:
1. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/shareware.html
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware
3. http://www.linfo.org/freeware.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://estudyantenghectic.blogspot.com
Eric Ibasco

PostSubject: Assignment 5   Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Before we go the question of it is freeware free, we make first define what the meaning of Freeware is totally. The word or the term freeware was coined by Andrew Fluegelman when he wanted to sell a communications program named PC-Talk that he had created but for which he did not wish to use traditional methods of distribution because of their cost. Fluegelman actually distributed PC-Talk via a process now referred to as shareware. Current use of the term freeware does not necessarily match the original concept by Andrew Fluegelman. Freeware is a class of software that you can download, pass around, and distribute without payment. However, it's still copyrighted, so you can't turn around and decompile it or sell it as your own. Software for which the author makes no charge. Because the author of the software is making no money, freeware is usually unsupported. It is often very specialized in nature, and therefore has little or no market value. Freeware can come in the form of small applications, utilities, or games. For the record, deciding to use commercial software without paying for it does not automatically turn it into freeware. Freeware is programming that is offered at no cost. However, it is copyrighted so that you can't incorporate its programming into anything you may be developing. The least restrictive "no-cost" programs are un-copyrighted programs that are in the public domain.

So for giving all the definition, explanation and for the times I've understand it of the Freeware if it is really free, my answer is yes. Freeware products or software can be downloaded, used and copied without restrictions with the following developer or company but theirs only one thing that can be different with the open source and freeware. For the software that been made as a Freeware you can try in free and this is the same with the open source software but when you talk about the features and codes of the software, Freeware had nothing to do with it because even we call it Freeware the developer still secure the code that it is fell like also in a commercial software or shareware while in open source that source code it totally open for other developer for the purpose of helping the software to become a great product. Open source means that the source code is available to all potential users, and they are free to use, modify, and re-distribute the source code. Legally, the "free" of open source refers exclusively to the source code, and it is possible to have support, services, documentation, and even binary versions which are not monetarily free just like the Linux OS which we all know, that it is the first and major software or products that applying or implementing the method of open source and this is why many Linux based operating system are created because of free development. In practice, open source usually means that the application is free to users as well as developers. Furthermore, most open source software has communities that support each other and collaborate on development. Therefore, unlike freeware, there are future enhancements, and, unlike shareware, users are not dependent on a single organization. And for comparing the freeware with the new model of distributing of a products which is the shareware is also another big different. Shareware is a different concept also, that you can download and try shareware for free, but if you use it, you are supposed to pay for it. It is developed and released by someone who keeps full control of the intellectual property. The user does not have access to the source code and cannot modify it. There is also no collaboration or community around shareware. In the end, the only difference between shareware and commercial software is that you can download and try shareware for free. Like commercial software, you are ultimately dependent on the developer of shareware for enhancements and support. Thus, shareware had also a word free but free sample only just like a typical free taste foods and drinks.

For knowing if the software is freeware if it is not been seen or read it, is that the software must be fully functional for an unlimited time with no cost, monetary or otherwise. The software license may impose restrictions on the type of use including personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combination of these. For instance, the license may be "free for personal, non-commercial use". Everything created with the freeware programs can be distributed at no cost. And by making it simple for the three model of software which is the Freeware, Shareware and Open Source of what are they differences. Freeware is usually a very small program, released by a student or enthusiast. That the basic is you're free to use this version. There is no time limit but many cool features are disabled. Shareware is usually a mid-sized utility or application, written by a professional developer or small software company. The developer or publisher does not have the resources to market it, so they release it as shareware with a "try-before-you-buy" business model. Shareware is free to use for the first 30 days after installation. This version has a number of cool features not available on the Freeware version. But you have to either register it or remove it from your computer after the evaluation period. Open source spans the gamut, but the largest "free" software out there are all open source. Before the advent of VCs in the "free software industry," collaborative development around a shared code base was the only way a large free application could be built. Open source advocates like to say that open source software is "free" as in "free speech," which is true. Since the user has the source code, it's also usually "free" as in "free lunch," even if sometimes you'd have to tip the waiter to get good service or pay for the wine.

Reference:
http://opensourcestrategies.blogspot.com/2005/09/freeware-vs-shareware-vs-open-source.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/shareware-software/
http://www.the-online-world.com/internet-downloads-101-freeware-vs-shareware-vs-open-source
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.logorice.blogspot.com
Richard Mark Daliba

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Freeware are software being created to be distributed for free for unlimited time. However freeware may not always provide much help in terms of support if the software goes wrong, so there is always a certain amount of risk when using freeware. The source code of freeware is also widely available, therefore modification, updates and future development can be contributed to by a community of programmers, rather than just the author. Whilst freeware will be free for use, for home users, and without restrictions, this may not be the case for commercial use. The software license will indicate if academic and commercial use will be prohibited or not. This software should be fully functional and with no cost for any period of time and downloadable off the internet. Though freeware does not require financially, it does have a user license or an end user license agreement. There should be a specific licensed that is bundled with different restrictions that are also common to some programs. The common thing to these is that the software or the program should not be altered or it should remain unchanged. Freeware does not often come with technical support and some of these programs do not have a help menu. You could find a help support for different kinds of freeware when you would get to enter to forums involving the use of this freeware and it was provided also by different individuals trying to use the same software as you’ve got. It is because many freeware developers create this program with no intention to gain money or profit. Some freeware are bundled with different kinds of manuals to help end user on the use of the software. Some would include different websites that would help user and as well as a website that would mainly for users to users help. Freeware also comes with different versions since the developer does an automatic update on the software after many kinds of queries that were sent by users.
Usually, a freeware is only available for personal use and not for commercial or business. When it comes to business, a paid licensed are imposed commercially. Freeware really helps different kinds of users that are really onto online services. Many talented coders report that writing handy programs is an addictive hobby. Others use freeware as a stepping-stone to garner sales for more robust editions offered at a cost. And still other freeware programs bring traffic to sites that rely on a suite of related shareware programs for income.
Many users become understandably confused between shareware, freeware and public domain software. These are all ways of marketing software, and have nothing to do with the actual type of software being distributed. Shareware is "copyrighted software which is distributed for the purposes of testing and review, subject to the condition that payment to the copyright owner is required after a person who has secured a copy decides to use the software." This definition is contained in Copyright Rules & Regulations, 37 CFR 201.26. (Shareware is also sometimes referred to as try-before-you-buy software.)
Freeware is software that is distributed in a way that allows individuals and non-profit organizations to use the software at no charge. The software usually comes with a license agreement that prohibits the software from being sold, rented, or otherwise distributed in a for-profit manner. Lastly there is another category, often referred to as crippleware that is a hybrid between shareware and freeware. Crippleware allows a person to use the software for free. If the individual likes the software, he/she can then pay to receive a code that activates some "crippled" features, like the ability to print or to use advanced functions.
Both shareware and freeware are often accompanied by a license agreement that sets forth the terms and conditions of use of that product. Though shareware is commercial software, many shareware authors use electronic distribution as part of their distribution system. Loading shareware onto or downloading shareware from the Internet does not constitute piracy. However, shareware may be considered pirated if it is not registered and paid for before the expiration of the application's specified trial period.
While there is no money exchanged to obtain a copy of freeware and it can usually be downloaded without liability, freeware can still be considered to be pirated if it is used in a manner that violates an accompanying agreement. For example, if the freeware license contains a restriction on selling the freeware and someone includes the freeware on a compilation CD of freeware programs and sells the program, the freeware has been pirated because the license has been violated.
Unlike shareware or freeware, there are no copyright restrictions on a piece of public domain software. Therefore, public domain software will usually not be subject to a license agreement and the user of public domain software is generally free to use the software as they desire, with no restriction. Therefore, a certain software would be called a freeware if fits with the restrictions and abide with a certain end user agreement. But this is different from free software since free software in the other hand could be distributed with a fee on its distribution. Others have insisted that most of the freeware right now are filled with trojans and viruses that most company use for profit. This is not true about freeware since freeware does not have this kind of capability. Programmers create freeware just to enjoy and help people who are in need to do a certain job. Maybe malware and spamware does have this kind of capabilities since they are created to this kind of jobs. Thats why in buying or downloading a certain software, we should try to know about the end user agreements and we should use a certain anti spamware or malware that could easily distinguished them from shareware and freeware. We should also evaluate a certain software why it becomes free or shared since proprietary softwares a also nice and for sure could satisfy our needs.

http://www.kingstairs.com/support/faq0022.html
http://www.siia.net/piracy/whatis.asp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.markrichards.tk
Jazz

PostSubject: Assignment 5   Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:35 am

Is Freeware free?

Many people new to free software find themselves often confused because of the word "free" in the term "free software or freeware" is not used the way they expect. To them free means "at no cost". An English dictionary lists almost twenty different meanings for "free". Only one of them is "at no cost". The rest refer to liberty and lack of constraint. When we speak of Free Software, we mean freedom, not price. Software that is free only in the sense that you don't need to pay to use it is hardly free at all. You may be forbidden to pass it on, and you are almost certainly prevented from improving it. Software licensed at no cost is usually a weapon in a marketing campaign to promote a related product or to drive a smaller competitor out of business. There is no guarantee that it will stay free.

Truly free software is always free. Software that is placed in the public domain can be snapped up and put into non-free programs. Any improvements then made are lost to society. To stay free, software must be copyrighted and licensed. To the uninitiated, either a piece of software is free or it isn't. Real life is much more complicated than that. To understand what kinds of things people are implying when they call software free we must take a little detour into the world of software licenses. Copyrights are a method of protecting the rights of the creator of certain types of works. In most countries, software you write is automatically copyrighted. A license is the authors way of allowing use of their creation (software in this case), by others, in ways that are acceptable to them. It is up to the author to include a license which declares in what ways the software may be used. For a proper discussion of copyright see http://www.copyright.gov/.

Of course, different circumstances call for different licenses. Software companies are looking to protect their assets so they only release compiled code (which isn't human readable) and put many restrictions on the use of the software. Authors of free software on the other hand are generally looking for some combination of the following:
• Not allowing use of their code in proprietary software. Since they are releasing their code for all to use, they don't want to see others steal it. In this case, use of the code is seen as a trust: you may use it, as long as you play by the same rules.
• Protecting identity of authorship of the code. People take great pride in their work and do not want someone else to come along and remove their name from it or claim that they wrote it.
• Distribution of source code. One of the problems with most commercial code is that you can't fix bugs or customize it since the source code is not available. Also, the company may decide to stop supporting the hardware you use. Many free licenses force the distribution of the source code. This protects the user by allowing them to customize the software for their needs. This also has other ramifications which will be discussed later.
• Forcing any work that includes part of their work (such works are called derived works in copyright discussions) to use the same license.

Many people write their own license. This is frowned upon as writing a license that does what you want involves subtle issues. Too often the wording used is either ambiguous or people create conditions that conflict with each other. Writing a license that would hold up in court is even harder. Luckily, there are a number of licenses already written that probably do what you want.
Three of the most widely found licenses are:
• The GNU General Public License (GPL). Some good background information on software licenses and a copy of the license can be found at the GNU web site. This is the most common free license in use in the world.
• Artistic License.
• BSD style license.
Some of the features these licenses have in common.
• You can install the software on as many machines as you want.
• Any number of people may use the software at one time.
• You can make as many copies of the software as you want and give them to whomever you want (free or open redistribution).
• There are no restrictions on modifying the software (except for keeping certain notices intact).
• There is no restriction on distributing, or even selling, the software.

This last point, which allows the software to be sold for money seems to go against the whole idea of free software. It is actually one of its strengths. Since the license allows free redistribution, once one person gets a copy they can distribute it themselves. They can even try to sell it. In practice, it costs essentially no money to make electronic copies of software. Supply and demand will keep the cost down. If it is convenient for a large piece of software or an aggregate of software to be distributed by some media, such as CD, the vendor is free to charge what they like. If the profit margin is too high, however, new vendors will enter the market and competition will drive the price down.

While free software is not totally free of constraints (only putting something in the public domain does that) it gives the user the flexibility to do what they need in order to get work done. At the same time, it protects the rights of the author. Now that's freedom. While there are countless freeware programs, some have become staples in the online community. Others have changed status over the years from freeware to shareware or adware. There are several sites dedicated to freeware only. Most of the popular download sites, including TuCows, ZDNet and SnapFiles, distribute both shareware and freeware. Programs that are freeware will be noted as such.

When talking about freeware, it is best to avoid using terms like give away or for free, because those terms imply that the issue is about price, not freedom.

Reference:
http://www.en8848.com.cn/Article/Computer/Software/14069.html
www.wikipedia.com
http://www.ask.com/web?q=dictionary%3A+freeware&content=ahdict%7C36207&o=0&l=dir
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthony E. Catamora

PostSubject: Assignment 5: Is Freeware free?   Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 am

At this our recent times, more and more people in the world especially those business men in heart and mind can indulge that there is no such free nowadays especially this crisis times. I must say that it is true. Even having a single cent, we have to work hard for it by means of our effort through service offering to others in return to what is given valuable to us. As the government always invoked that they are giving free education to many poor people, but actually in totality they do not. Still many or all young individual acquire their education through spending money for their miscellaneous and tuition fees. It is just like we are using so called freeware for our computer technical support.

What is really this freeware all about?

According to pcmag.com (2009) that freeware is define as a software that is distributed without charge and which may be redistributed without charge by its users. However, ownership is retained by the developer who may change future releases from freeware to a paid product (feeware). Freeware (from "free" + "software") is computer software that is available for use at no cost or for an optional fee.[1] Freeware is different from shareware; the latter obliges the user to pay (e.g. after some trial period or for additional functionality) (en.wikipedia.org, 2009). This means that freeware is not totally free. Freeware is said to be free within its distribution fees or costs and can be freely used by several users. Users are also allowed to redistribute the software without any fees to be collected. Everyone has the right to use the software as it is a freeware without any monetary charges and redistribute at anytime may be possible but the sense of ownership still and shall retain to the developer. And now it is up for the developer to decide if the new release of the software will be again free for distributions. This make sense that freeware has its own restriction of being free for every actions take place of any unauthorized modifications. Now we may say that freeware is free in the sense of optional charge of distribution of the software and everyone has given the right to use it whatever and whenever they want. There are top ten freeware as issued on February 2009 by freeware-guide.com and are as follows; AutoHotkey, Avidemux, Comodo System Cleaner, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition, FileZilla, JMathLib, PeaZip, PicPick, SoftPerfect Network Scanner, and Spyware Terminator. There are other featured freeware too such as Quicksys DiskDefrag, AppRemover, Task Coach, Red Button, Sonitus Mortis, Tautology Bandwidth Meter, RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool) and the others.

On the other hand, there is so called shareware that commonly compare to freeware in terns of its accessibility and respective restrictions that would be able to affect the differences between them. The similarity of them is that they are both a software and they are both shareable to everyone for personal used. According to pcmag.com (2009) that shareware is defined as software on the "honor system." The concept is that users try a product, and if they like it, they voluntarily pay a set registration fee or make a donation to the program's creator. There are tens of thousands of shareware programs; some fantastic, some awful. This only sense their difference that shareware is quite not free because at the first place there is still need to pay for registration first before the software will be shared. According to en.wikipedia.org (2009) that shareware is usually offered as a trial version with certain features only available after the license is purchased, or as a full version, but for a trial period. So, I must say that the trial version software we used is type of shareware.

Are there any differences or dissimilarities between Freeware and Free Software in terms of usage and procurement?

After knowing the difference between shareware and freeware, we may put our attention to the some sort of confusions with the dissimilarities of Freeware and Free Software. Having all knowing that freeware is totally free in terms usage and distributions that may occur at any possible cause, free software can be describe as freedom. According to pc-mag.com (2009) that [1] software that is free of charge, [2] Software that is free of restrictions and which may be free of charge. Free software licenses grant users the freedom to use it for any purpose, study and change the source code and copy and redistribute the software with or without modifications. Free software must come with source code or provide access to it, while the freedom to redistribute includes the right to give away copies gratis as well as sell copies. From this perspective view of definition given, free software bares the higher right of freedom of procurement than freeware. Free software and Freeware are not far from each others intention to provide and share software to everyone who has the desire to use it freely. However, we cannot immediately conclude that both of them are completely free from different aspects in terms of its production, distribution, and ownership. Furthermore, these two softwares are also determined as a Free and Open Software or FOSS which both are designed to use as free by everyone such as those developers, IT vendors, and end user organizations. This Free and Open Source Software initiative is very important and effective way of leading up the Information Technology development and advancements to the business commerce in Science, Entertainment, Telecommunication, and Health. FOSS as always invites more advocates to unite as one team and develop a harmonious and sustainable ICT industry and community. There are now several developers in the world advocate FOSS such that they provide wide access of different open source software like this Free software.

Going back to the question, is Freeware free? As it is named and intended to be free for personal use and distribution, then that would be FREE in general context. Freeware is FREE because it is designed to be used by everyone freely and there’s no fee to be collected. However, ownership still remained to the owner who developed the software and the right for modifications still reserved for the owner only.

References:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=freeware&i=43498,00.asp
http://www.freeware-guide.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=shareware&i=51251,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=free+software&i=55890,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=public+domain+software&i=49933,00.asp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aecatamora.blogspot.com
giesi mae l. gorgonio

PostSubject: assignment5   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Is freeware free?
Yes, it is very free; as defined in Wikipedia.org, freeware is computer software that is available for use at no cost or for an optional fee. Freeware is computer software that is made to be available free of charge, but is copyrighted by its developer, who retains the rights to control its distribution, modify it and sell it in the future. It is normally distributed without its source code, thus preventing modification by its users. Freeware is for – Free. When we hear the word free, we can right away think the accompanying word benefit, right? So what are its benefits? Using freeware give you the freedom of having it and never have to pay when you use it and you can also pass it along with others to use it too, of course free of charge. How can a particular software be classified as freeware?
Software can be classified as freeware if and only if it is fully functional for an unlimited period with no cost, financial and others. The license of the software can compel boundaries depending on the type of use. It includes personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use or any combination of these. For example, the license may be “free for personal, non commercial use.”
Freeware vs. Free Software
Free software or popularly known as Free and Open Source Software is somewhat newer and unrelated concept with freeware. It can be use freely, modified, and redistributed with one restriction: redistributed version of the software must b distributed with the original terms of free use, modification, and distribution known as copyleft. The definition of free software is stipulated as part of the GNU project and by the Free Software Foundation. Unlike freeware, free software may be distributed for a fee. Freeware is liable to be more limited in capability than free software. Freeware is also different from open source software. The latter term refers to software for which the source code is made freely available and for which there are very minimal restrictions on its use. Open source software is usually also free in a monetary sense, and thus in most cases are the same thing as free software.
How did the Freeware Concept come about?
During the early periods of software dissemination, the standard procedure to share computer programs is across the universal bulletin board system. In this way, users across the globe can share and exchange with other users who have a need for it to achieve and simplify daily tasks. Later, because of the fast evolving technology continued to develop, authors and vendors of that particular software demand small payments to support the continuous development and other support of the software.

The development of the Internet and e commerce is the primary reason why and how Shareware concept has really took off because before, computer software was distributed and shared only between friends and colleagues.

In the early 90’s where Internet become more popular, the use of Shareware, Trial Software and Freeware continue to dominate which lead to a new software distribution model which is of course revolutionized not just the way software is distributed but also the software industry.

This newfound method of distribution has been so successful over the past 20 years, which every software development company now almost uses it today to bring about awareness of their software.

To make this network of Shareware and Freeware distribution even more powerful, Webmasters began making Website archives based on the software that was available to download. These massive software libraries are available on software download sites. With the information above, I am kinda curious why certain people develop and release software as freeware. The following are some of the few reasons I have read: playing a role of a loss leader in order to attract customers to other services or to the product he/she provides for free, trying to try other method because traditional way of software distribution is no longer selling, and out of a genuine desire to do good and help make the world a better place.

From the word “free” alone and from the information mentioned above about freeware, isn’t it wonderful to have this kind of software? Software that is completely free for anyone to use or to pass along to others to use. With many people complaining about high costs of software programs available, is it best to rely on freeware?

FREEWARE CONCERNS

Freeware advocates are continually pursuing their jobs in promoting their software. They said some freeware tools are better than their commercial counterparts are and even offers features that are not commercially available yet. However, since it is free tools and downloading is easy, the common concern is onslaught attacks. This means that serious security flaws are very possible. Supporters of freeware justification is that freeware often receives more scrutiny from researchers since it is easier to review and researchers are not subjected lengthy and cumbersome procurement process like in commercial products. The lack of vendor support is another common concern about freeware, is believe to be a significant issue, and sought to manage carefully. Ideas and solutions to some freeware concerns are available on the Internet in forums wherein active user groups and developers exchanged information. The risk in using freeware tools or software is that the author may no longer be developing it and improving it. In other cases, some developers left their users alone with no support for the “abandonware” because they move onto other affairs. That is why it is advisable to check with the developer of the software if you have a plan to use it on a regular basis because the tendency is you may not get the help or support you need to use the software. In addition, if it has flawed or that particular freeware caused problems, there is no one legally liable unlike in flawed commercial software. It is advisable that before downloading any type of freeware, you should research consumer magazines and web sites for customer review, as well as industry insider information related to the particular software you want to download and use. Another suggestion is that proper following installation wizard with the use of typical or recommended installation option. Before using the program, it is wiser to read the user guide and print out a hard copy to be use in the later reference whenever freeware program problems will occur. The increased potential for spyware to infect the computer is another disadvantage of using freeware. There are many reviews attesting that your computer will likely infected if you are not careful enough in downloading freeware software available in the Internet. Hidden spyware and malicious files are usually present when you download making it impossible for you to detect it. It could mean that it can get into your computer and attack you before you have a chance to defend yourself. This spyware and malicious software can do a number of things ranging from minute annoyances to terrifying horrors. There have been cases where personal information and other precious data was lost and compromise.

Even if many are raising their brows concerning this software, the increasing number of people relying in freeware is noticeable. For them freeware tools are often better than their commercial counterparts are, and even offer features that are not available commercially yet. Freeware from the internet generally comes from only with the files you need in order to use the program. This will not provide you with other expensive forms of software but help you save space on your hard disk drive, and will help you make the best use of your available system memory. Other thing is that organizations no longer have to rely on glossy vendor brochures that often exaggerate their product features. Freeware tools offers a “try-before-you-buy” opportunity because you can actually test its given function and see how it function to your environment and operations to decide if it is important to you or not with no direct software cost. In the process of testing, if you find it desirable then you can opt to continue using and relying to it but if not, then you can purchase commercial product that provides a better function.
With the promise of useful features and try before you buy capabilities, neutralized economic, support and liability issues, which tools should you look at your enterprise?
It is very wonderful to have things free without giving forward. Just like having, software for your personal use but getting software free in the web is not always as wonderful as we may think. The benefits of using freeware (as mentioned above) can sometimes be very dangerous. Though it has numerous advantages, it also has its downside. Freeware from the Internet will save you money; however, using freeware also gives rise to some minimal risks. You will never know before it is too late to do anything. Viruses will be on your machine causing trouble in minutes. Indeed, the dangers that are caused by downloading freeware are frightening. It may be the reason why many put out a few bucks, get a legitimate license, and save them in the headache freeware can potentially cause.
Sources:
[1]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/247128/the_advantages_and_disadvantages_of_pg2.html?cat=15
[2]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1011506/the_dangers_of_using_freeware_pg2.html?cat=15
[3] http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/shareware-software/
[4]http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid39_gci212159,00.html
[5] http://www.linfo.org/freeware.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)   

Back to top Go down

Assignment 5 (Due: before January 31, 2009, 13:00hrs)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1